How to Decide if You Should Go for Fibroid Treatment
It is important to understand Fibroid Care physicians are happy to meet with anyone requesting a consultation to help them decide if they need surgery for fibroids or what other treatment options they have. Whilst we are specialists in Uterine Fibroid Embolization, we will always let you know if this treatment is not the best option for your situation .. Fibroid Care operates as an independent services consultancy. If you are ready to proceed with a consultation, come prepared by reviewing the following information:
Consultation– It is a good idea to prepare in advance for your appointment.
What you can do
How to decide if you should go for fibroid treatment can be a process. Here is a list of things you can do before coming in for a consultation:
• Make a list of any symptoms you are experiencing; bleeding, pain, passing clots, constipation, bloating, menorrhagia, dysmenorrhea, menstrual bleeding, spotting. Include all of your symptoms, even if you do not think they are related. These can help with the decision to have your fibroids removed or not.
• List any medications, herbs and vitamin supplements you take.
• Have a family member or close friend accompany you, if possible. You may be given a lot of information at your visit, and it can be difficult to remember everything.
• Take a notebook or electronic device with you. Use it to note important information during your visit.
• Prepare a list of questions for us.
For Uterine Fibroids, some basic questions to ask include:
• How many fibroids do I have? How big are they?
• Are the fibroids located on the inside or outside of my uterus?
• What kinds of tests might I need?
• What medications are available to treat uterine fibroids or my symptoms?
• What side effects can I expect from medication use?
• Under what circumstances do you recommend surgery?
• Will I need medication before or after surgery?
• Will my uterine fibroids affect my ability to become pregnant?
• Can treatment of uterine fibroids improve my fertility?
• What other alternative treatments might I try?
Make sure that you understand everything explained to you. Do not hesitate to ask us to repeat information or to ask follow-up questions.
How is Uterine Fibroid Embolization Performed?
Some questions we might ask include:
• How often do you experience these symptoms?
• How long have you been experiencing symptoms?
• How severe are your symptoms?
• Do your symptoms seem to be related to your menstrual cycle?
• Does anything improve your symptoms?
• Does anything make your symptoms worse?
• Do you have a family history of uterine fibroids?
Tests and Diagnosis
Uterine fibroids are frequently found incidentally during a routine pelvic exam. Your doctor may feel irregularities in the shape of your uterus, suggesting the presence of fibroids. In order to determine the exact nature of your fibroids, we may order one or more of the following tests:
Ultrasound – An ultrasound scan uses sound waves to get a picture of your uterus to confirm the diagnosis and to map and measure fibroids. A doctor or technician moves the ultrasound device (transducer) over your abdomen (transabdominal) or places it inside your vagina (transvaginal) to get images of your uterus.
MRI – If a traditional ultrasound does not provide enough data, we may order a Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). An MRI can show the size and location of fibroids, identify the type of the fibroids, and confirm treatment options.
Lab tests – If you are experiencing abnormal vaginal bleeding, your doctor may order other tests to investigate potential causes. These might include a complete blood count (CBC) to determine if you have anemia because of chronic blood loss and other blood tests to rule out bleeding disorders or thyroid problems. Request a consultation.
Consultation with Fibroid Care does not require a physician referral.
+27 (0)79 810 9423
Mon – Fri 08:00-18:00
Netcare Femina Hospital
460 Belvedere Street
What Patients Say
Thank you – from dealing with what felt like the worst thing that had ever happened to me, I’m now back to myself and have my life back!
May God bless and be with you, I was told by my doctor that I’m no longer conceive but after this treatment,
Thank you for such reassuring, friendly and professional care. I’m so relieved! .